The Winter Solstice is the longest, darkest night of the year in the northern hemisphere, yet this darkness rebirths the light. In the land of The Modern Goddess, i.e. my LA circle of goddesses, we pause at the Winter Solstice to acknowledge the gamut of our year: successes, breakthroughs, medal worthy stands of Unmasking as well as the failures, breakdowns, and disappointments. (Below I’ve outlined a version of my in person ceremony that you can do solo, or gather a few friends together to honor the shift into more light.)
This year’s calendar-cycle-completing Winter Solstice is a perfect time to rebirth YOUR light from the darkest corners of your pain, shame, anger or invisibility.
Personal and Global
It seems to me our world is being called to do the very same thing as victims of sexual assault come forward naming perpetrators of sexual aggression and our global politics and relations strain even further, creating opportunity for collaboration by authentic, truth-telling-light-minded people.
I’ve experienced firsthand the need for a new and focused attention on people displaced from their homes around the globe due to weather related catastrophe and government misdoing. (My mom was flooded out of her home due to Hurricane Harvey and the California wildfires rage in my community as I write this post.)
So, this year, we delve into the deep end and exhume what feels like ancient, multi-generational stuff. My intention is that we all find new levels of gentleness and compassion for others and ourselves.
Winter Solstice Ceremony Outline
- Make a completion list of: successes, breakthroughs, medal-worthy stands in Unmasking; as well as the failures, breakdowns and disappointments. Write these lists on a piece of paper you can burn!
- Next we dig deeper and examine the following questions, writing answers on paper to burn:
- What are the pesky patterns that invite undesirable circumstances or relationships? (I am complete with not being my own top priority.)
- What are the less than empowered behaviors that keeps you going in circles like one foot is nailed to the floor? (“This is the way I am,” stuff.)
- What “lesson” do you keep re-learning? (Saying “It’s OK,” doesn’t make it so.)
- And my love, name that dream or goal that isn’t really yours. (You know the one.)
- In your journal or a piece of paper to keep, write a list of gratitude as you reflect on 2017.
- Also in your journal or a piece of paper to keep, write a list of the experiences you would like to have in 2018. Not your list of goals – now is the opportunity to claim the way you want to feel and the experiential of next year. (Ex: I want to feel Lightness and experience Fun!)
- On the evening of December 21, 2017 light some candles – extra points if they are red and green as red symbolizes the Solstice fire and returning light, and the green symbolizes evergreen trees and the continuing flow of life.
- Read your completion lists aloud to yourself, a loved one or to a group, and read them slowly. Read each item over and over until you feel every cell in your body aligned in the completion. If there is a holdout part of you, stop and bring it into alignment before you continue reading.
- Once you are through reading your completion lists, it is time to create warmth and light with your “old” fuel. Go outside and place your paper in a fireproof container. Acknowledge gratitude for all the learning and life lived along the way to this moment. Acknowledge that each hurt, insult or disappointment is fuel for your evolution. Then burn the paper. Watch it curl up at the edges. Watch the smoke rise into the night sky. (Let the container sit out over night under the moon if possible. The next day, spread the ashes.)
- Read your list of 2017 gratitude aloud to yourself, a loved one or a group.
- Next, claim your chosen 2018 experiences by reading them aloud! Read them aloud until you feel your mind, heart, body, emotions and soul aligned around your chosen experiences.
Re-Birthday Party Time!
After the ceremony is complete, it is time to light a candle on your re-birthday cake! (We use store-bought cupcakes in our Circle because we just don’t need another thing on the baking list!) We also wash down our re-birthday cupcakes with a little eggnog!
I would love to read other ways you celebrate the Winter Solstice and the return of Light to the northern hemisphere!
Love & Light,
Make 2018 your best year yet! I am passionate about coaching and being of service. When you spend time with me, your focus turns inward, offering you the space to exhale and recharge. Let’s connect and get the conversation going! Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org